Friday, June 24, 2011

55. DO NOT BRING SORROW TO GOD’S SPIRIT --- DO NOT STIFLE GOD’S SPIRIT ( g )

4) The ‘contaminated’ church of Sardis
The commercial city of Sardis was known for its dye and wool industries and for its immorality. It was a city with a rich history but it had sunk into oblivion. It seems that the church in Sardis had gone down the same path.

This active church still made a positive impression on outsiders. Yet, in the opinion of Jesus Messiah, the Son of God, it was ‘dead’. It seemed to have lost its love for God and the members for each other. It seems that it had forsaken the governing presence of God’s Spirit. Consequently, the church had contaminated itself with the impious ways of its pagan surroundings.

The Lord warns this church:
“I know all the things you do, and that you have a reputation for being alive-- but you are dead. Now wake up! Strengthen what little remains, for even what is left is at the point of death. Your deeds are far from right in the sight of God” (Revelation 3:1-2).

The Lord calls this church to repentance and threatens it with judgment:
“Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly and turn to me again. Unless you do, I will come upon you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief.” (Revelation 3:3).

Nevertheless, also in the church in Sardis there were individuals who still loved the Lord and lived to please and obey Him:
“Yet even in Sardis there are some who have not soiled their garments with evil deeds.” (Revelation 3:4).

To those followers of Jesus in Sardis who lived a godly life in the midst of that ‘spiritually decaying church’, the Lord promised His care and keeping:
“They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. All who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the Book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and his angels that they are mine.” (Revelation 3:4-5)

5) The wealthy and materialistic church of Laodicea
The city of Laodicea was the wealthiest of the seven cities mentioned in Revelation 2 and 3. It was an important commercial and banking centre. It manufactured wool and there was a medical school that produced eye salve. Although an aqueduct brought water from hot springs to the city, it was lukewarm when it finally arrived there.

In the church of Laodicea one would find the same attitude as in the entire city. This church had grown into a wealthy, hardened and self-sufficient community. Here you would find ‘cultural Christians’ who displayed in their lifestyle the complacency that seemingly ruled the entire city. They did not face persecution and enjoyed peace and wealth.

The Lord Jesus severely rebukes this worst of the ‘seven churches’ because of its proud, half-hearted, in-name-only piety:
“I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth!
You say, 'I am rich. I have everything I want. I don't need a thing!' And you don't realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.
I advise you to buy gold from me-- gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich.
And also buy white garments so you will not be shamed by your nakedness. And buy ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see”
(Revelation 3:15-18).

The Lord Jesus still loves this indifferent church and urges it to repent and return to Him. Evidently, the Lord (and His Spirit!) stands outside this church and knocks at its door.

He addresses every believer in this church personally and says:
“I am the one who corrects and disciplines everyone I love. Be diligent and turn from your indifference. Look! Here I stand at the door and knock. If you hear me calling and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal as friends”
(Revelation 3:19-20).

Even in this church there were people who faithfully followed the Lord in the midst of all the indifference towards the Lord and His love. The Lord encourages them by saying:
“I will invite everyone who is victorious to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne” (Revelation 3:21).

The church of Laodicea was not ensnared by ‘the culture trap’. Neither was it in danger of compromising its Christian standards or condoning pagan attitudes or teachings like other churches in Revelation 2 and 3.

On the contrary, it proudly displayed its self-sufficiency in an affluent society. It might not even have noticed that the Lord and His Spirit stood outside its doors. The transformation into the likeness of Christ was not even a matter for consideration!

This church had lost its glowing start with the Lord, His Spirit and His Word. Oh yes, it might still have been formally Christian, but it had lost its passionate love for the Lord and the members for each other. It was in urgent need of repentance and spiritual renewal. It desperately needed to find its way back to the Lord of life.

Is your church on the slippery slope of the churches of Sardis or Laodicea? Is the Lord standing outside, knocking at your door or at the door of your church? Thankfully, there is always a way back to the heart of our heavenly Father!

Since meditation 49 we have spoken a lot about the danger of bringing sorrow to God’s Spirit or even of stifling Him in our personal lives and in our church communities.

Yet, although this danger is always present because of our rebellious heart, the Good News [Gospel] of Jesus Christ is a positive message full of hope! It is the message of God’s love for sinners and His offer of forgiveness, eternal life and Christlike transformation!

Next week we will start our journey in search of the characteristics of Christlike transformation. Questions abound: what are the distinctive features of a Christlike life? How do my church and I obtain such transformation? How will its qualities grow strong and mature within me and within my church?

I hope you will join me on that journey...


All Bible verses are quotes from the New Living Translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment