Monday, April 27, 2015

121. HOW TO OVERCOME THE POWER OF SIN IN MY LIFE? – How do I protect Jesus’ life within me against Satan’s attacks? (b)

In our last meditation we saw that our Lord Jesus Christ grants His powerful presence in the hearts of all God’s children. That is the precondition for overcoming Satan’s assaults. Obviously, we cannot lean back and let God’s Spirit do the entire job. We are called to be actively involved. We should not only grow strong in the Lord, but Paul persuades us also, saying:

“Be (or: grow, become) strong in ... His mighty power...” (Ephesians 6:10**)

For the apostle Paul overcoming Satan’s assaults is a continuous battle to win! In Meditation 120 we saw that I am never able to win that battle on my own because of my own sinful nature. Yet, as a child of God, my powerful Lord lives within me by His Spirit. He is stronger than Satan with all his demonic tactics.

Therefore, the question is: What is my responsibility in this continuous battle?

a.) To keep my relationship with Jesus Christ and His Spirit intact.
The Lord Himself warns us that we cannot win these battles on our own: “… apart from Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5*) The apostle Paul reminds us that we cannot resist Satan’s assaults if the Spirit of God does not control our lives. Paul writes to the Ephesian Christians: “Do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live.” (Ephesians 4:30*) The Christians in Thessaloniki he alerts: “Do not stifle the Holy Spirit.” (1 Thessalonians 5:19*)

b.) To acknowledge my inadequacy to win these battles because of my sinful nature.
Paul testifies: “Each time He said, "My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9*)
Already the prophet Isaiah (8th century BC) declares that “God gives power to those who are tired and worn out; He offers strength to the weak. Even youths will become exhausted, and young men will give up. But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:29-31*)
To the Christians in Corinth (Greece) the apostle Paul sharply contrasts God’s power and our weakness so that we should not mix God’s power up with the incapacity of our sinful nature: “This precious treasure-- this light and power that now shine within us-- is held in perishable containers, that is, in our weak bodies. So everyone can see that our glorious power is from God and is not our own.” (2 Corinthians 4:7*)

c.) To submit to God’s leadership under combat conditions.
God knows Satan’s nature and demonic schemes completely. That’s why it is imperative to follow His orders. Already in the Old Testament we read how Israel fought under God’s leadership. Through Moses, God gave His people the rules of warfare they should keep: “Before you go into battle, the priest will come forward to speak with the troops. He will say, 'Listen to me, all you men of Israel! Do not be afraid as you go out to fight today! Do not lose heart or panic. For the LORD your God is going with you! He will fight for you against your enemies, and He will give you victory!'” (Deuteronomy 20:2-4*)

King David acknowledged God’s leadership in combat: “The LORD is my light and my salvation-- so why should I be afraid? The LORD protects me from danger-- so why should I tremble? When evil people come to destroy me, when my enemies and foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though a mighty army surrounds me, my heart will know no fear. Even if they attack me, I remain confident.” (Psalm 27:1-3*)

God encourages Israel in battle by mouth of the prophet Isaiah, saying: “Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. See, all your angry enemies lie there, confused and ashamed. Anyone who opposes you will die. You will look for them in vain. They will all be gone! I am holding you by your right hand-- I, the LORD your God. And I say to you, Do not be afraid. I am here to help you.  Despised though you are, O Israel, don't be afraid, for I will help you. I am the LORD, your Redeemer. I am the Holy One of Israel.” (Isaiah 41:10-14*)

c.) To rely on God’s strategy and wisdom.
To submit to God’s leadership under combat conditions also means to wait for God’s commands and act on God’s initiative. I think of two instructions from the Psalms that also are applicable to relying on God’s leadership in a clash with Satan: “Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD.” (Psalm 27:14*) “Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield.” (Psalm 33:20***)
Obviously, in the fire of conflict we sometimes might not know how to act wisely and in accordance with God’s will. Therefore, God inspired the apostle James to encourage us in such confusing situations with the words: “If you need wisdom-- if you want to know what God wants you to do-- ask Him, and He will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking.” (James 1:5*) And king David (11th century BC) testifies to God’s response when he needed His help: “When I called, You answered me; You made me bold and stout-hearted.” (Psalm 138:3*)

d.) To grow in understanding how to apply the power God’s Spirit provides in demonic encounters.
Not only does the Lord Jesus live through His powerful Spirit in my heart. He also wants to give me the power I need to stand firm during Satan’s attacks. The apostle Paul writes to the Christians in Ephesus: “I pray that you will begin to understand the incredible greatness of His power for us who believe Him.” (Ephesians 1:19*) To the believers in Colosse (Turkey) Paul writes: “We also pray that you will be strengthened with His glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need. May you be filled with joy...” (Colossians 1:11*) The apostle speaks to the Philippian Christians of his long experience with the application of Christ’s power in his life: “I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need.” (Philippians 4:13*)

In the last meditation we saw that our Lord Jesus Christ – by His Spirit - has granted His powerful presence in the hearts of all those who are born again. And in this meditation we realize how my relationship with Him should be if I want to overcome Satan’s assaults on Jesus’ life within me. In the following meditations we will discover how God wants us to defy Satan’s powerful attacks while we submit to His leadership under combat conditions.


Translations: * New Living Translation; ** New International Version; *** New King James Version


About conversion, see meditations 19-26.
About Holy Sprit’s ministry, rebirth or baptism in God’s Spirit, see meditations 27-34, 37 and 44.
About personal, Christlike love for God the Father and God the Son, see meditations 56-62.
About not bringing sorrow to God’s Spirit and not stifling Him, see meditations 49-55.

No comments:

Post a Comment